I am the author of the text Mainframe Assembler Programming, ISBN 0-471-24993-9, published in 1998 by Wiley Computer Publishing. This book is now out of print. I have decided that rather than self-publish, I will make it available to anyone for non-commercial use via the internet. This is my small way of saying "thank you" to the many unknown persons whose contributions to the internet have enriched my personal and professional life. I hope that someone out there finds this useful. If so, I would love to hear from you. Please drop me a line at email@example.com. Thank you.
p.s. I am available for corporate training on this and many other IT topics. Please contact me if I can be of service to your company.
- Save this file to your computer and unzip it.
- Read this file for an explanation.
Book now available in Spanish!
Victor Cepeda of Prestep in Orebro, Sweden has enjoyed this book so much that he decided to translate it into Spanish for his peers in his home country of Mexico. Victor writes, "Thanks for your book. I did a quick translation to Spanish after reading it. Mostly because the book was worth it. It might be that other Spanish speaking people would want to contribute before I have time again, and in that spirit I would appreciate that you yourself make it available for that purpose even if it's not complete. I tried to follow your consistency and used indexes which will be taken away after everything is translated. We as a company were looking for mainframe assembler courses to strengthen our chances of being outsourced for a project. Mainframe assembler is still a niche even today. Your book gave a perspective (historic) to assembler and the fact that its free, well good deeds are payed by good deeds." Thank you, Victor!
- "WOW!!!!! This is FANTASTIC! Thank you so much! I already have your great book, and I have often recommended it to other students, but they couldn't afford the $99 price it sometimes goes for on the used market." - Lydell Anderson
- "I am really glad I have my copy of your book safely in my library and,
even if I could get the $194 for it - the top price currently quoted at
abebooks.com - I would not be interested." - Jay Moseley
- "Sir: Just wanted to tell you that your book is probably my most cherished programming book. I could not have passed Assembly language without it. I still own the hard copy as I couldn’t bring myself to resell it after the class was over. Weirdest thing is that I do not even like to program, however I was too close to graduating with my degree in programming to go in a different direction. Anyway, I am glad you are putting it out there for all students. If assembly language is required, this is the easiest way to learn it." - Wayne Murphy, System engineer, USAF
- "Many thanks for this book. I bought this book several years ago to use as a textbook for teaching assembler to some colleagues of mine who only programmed in COBOL. Somehow I have misplaced my copy of the book, and I am really glad to have found this online copy so that I can refresh my programming skills after having been retired for 8 years. I have installed Hercules and MVS370 and this book should complete an environment for studying and teaching assembler. Thanks again." - Dale Erwin, Lima, Peru
- "Searching the internet for information, I found your book. It is an excellent book for beginners and not-so-beginners. Thanks a lot for sharing this marvelous information about assembler." - Angel Luis Domínguez, z/OS System Programmer, Madrid, Spain
My home page