1978 Ahwahnee Survival Camp
- Build a piute or figure-4 deadfall trap and demonstrate how it works.
- Properly skin a rabbit. Then:
- Using the brain, tan the hide.
- Make a primitive possible-bag using the skin of the rabbit.
- Preserve some of the meat by making jerky.
- Make a stone knife.
- Build a fire using flint and steel.
- Build a fire by friction.
- Build a fire using batteries and steel wool.
- Show that you can "store" a fire for at least 2 hours by using a fire bundle.
- Complete a 20-mile hike.
- Tie the following knots:
- figure 8 loop
- bowline on a clove
- Identify the following equipment and tell how each works:
- brake bar
- figure 8 descender
- Rappel a distance of at least 50 feet.
- To the satisfaction of one of the staff explain what you would do if you
- Build a shelter using only natural materials.
- Spend a night alone in a shelter of your own making.
- Tell 5 different ways of attracting attention when lost.
- Give the 10 ground to air emergency code symbols from memory.
- Give the following:
- distress signal
- distress signal answer
- international distress signal
- Show that you can find direction without a compass by using:
- the north star
- a watch dial and the sun
- the shadow-stick method
- Collect, identify, and tell how to prepare 10 different edible plants.
Back to My 1978 Ahwahnee Survival Camp page.
Back to My Wilderness Survival page.
Copyright © 1978, 2000 by Bill Qualls. Last updated March 9, 2000.